Friday, May 23, 2008

Responding to Advise

Due to popular demand, or at least in response to advise from my friends at the "Dixie Yid" and "A Simple Jew Blogs", I am going to experiment with alternative style posts.

In addition to the "classic" style exhibited in my previous efforts I will try posts where the discussion of the Gemara is given in the post itself. These posts will represent an amud of Gemara, while the "classic" style will run from Mishna to Mishnah (once completed).

Additionally I have been asked to consider English content to make this project more accessible. After all those familiar with the Gemara already are less likely to benefit from this project. In so far as it often helps me to write out translations of what I'm working through in Hebrew or Aramaic there is the potential to do so. Translation is a tricky thing however and with the Gemara in particular I do not have sufficient background to do so properly. I therefore will try a two-fold approach that, b"H, will help us improve together.

The first will be to share the method I have used, and am using, to overcome the language barrier. I hope to post on this shortly. I may also occasionally share insights I have received or will receive on how to "לערן".

The second will be to post select translations I have prepared for review. I will also consider posting similar attempts by readers.

In these postings the comment sections are freed up for actual participation. I would enjoy seeing them be utilized to ask question on the Gemara which perhaps other readers will be able to share their insights. Additionally I would like to hear advise from others on Gemara study methods.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming.

Yirmiahu

No comments: